Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2020

The Jolly Jar experiment!!!!!!!!!

This term, our Project Based Learning (PBL) started with the teachers
putting us into groups. In these groups we had to work collaboratively
to create Jolly Jars for the school fair. This task helped us to begin
exploring our PBL question for the term - How can we build community
through our actions? We had to research ideas, be creative with our product,
experiment with our materials and write instructions that could be followed by others. 


Here is a link to my instructions.


I learnt that instructions need to be easy to understand and the font needs to be easy to read. 
When you write instructions you need to read them out loud to yourself and possibly even get
someone else to  check them as well. You do that to make sure that they make sence and you
should always do that before publishing.

Reflection on PBL:
For PBL our group was doing flowers in a jar. We found that it was much harder while working
with people that we don't usually work with. In the end it all worked out and we got it done but
just in time because it was the last day to finish our jars.

For our Jolly Jar we had to do an action plan that chose our idea. For a little while we were
thinking of doing paper snowflakes but in the end it was flowers in a jar. It was a rush to
get them done but we worked as a group and made it finally.


I contributed to my group by bringing the soil and seeds for the jolly jar and a jar as well.
I helped to prepare and pack the things to grow the flower into the jar. I made sure nothing was
missing from the jar by checking them.


Our Jolly Jar was creative because not very many people plant things in a jar. We also think it
was creative because instead of drainage holes we used stones. I collected the rocks from my
driveway at home. 


What I learned about working with others was that it can bring people closer together and make
friendships stronger. It can also make the product more interesting because of the people in the
group. Different people have different ideas. Everybody has a different mind so everybody has
a different way of thinking.


How did we build community through our actions?
We raised money for our school bike track. The children will have fun using it and we will all
appreciate the  work put into raising the money. The amount of money raised was very good
and I hope we are capable of doing this again. As year 5,6 we were all really                                                                                                         

proud of how well the fair went on sunday 8 March 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post